Guarneri Del Gesu – The Lord Wilton 1742
The Lord Wilton 1742
The “Lord Wilton 1742” Guarneri del Gesù was originally made in Cremona, Italy in 1742. This violin shows del Gesù during his most eccentric period. It is sometimes called the ex-Yehudi Menuhin. It was named for a Seymour Egerton, 4th Earl of Wilton, a musician, associate of Arthur Sullivan, and 19th century owner of the original instrument. It was owned and played by the celebrated violinist Yehudi Menuhin from 1978 to 1999.
Guarneri del Gesù
This late period model is one of del Gesu’s finest examples. The violin has a dark, mischevious sound with tremedous carrying power.
- Mischevious sound
- Tremendous carrying power
- Superb instrument